Recipe: Sweet Corn Mango Salsa
Salsa is one of life's simple pleasures. It can range from mild to pure fire, and adds lovely depth and texture to many kinds of dishes.
When it came time to develop our own salsa recipe, there was no one better for the task than our daughter Rachel, an amateur cook who loves to utilize fresh citrus, spicy peppers, and bright, sweet vegetables.
She tinkered around with some of her favourite ingredients, and came up with her own take on a sweet-based salsa - and it is YUM!
This salsa is so good, you could eat it right out of the bowl
1 cup of Newcombe's Sweet Corn, raw or steamed, stripped from the cob
2 mangoes, peeled and cubed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño, de-seeded and finely diced
1 avocado, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
½ teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
How to make this sweet-heat treat
1. Prep your corn. You can either use raw corn, or steam it the Newcombe way. Wait for the corn to cool before stripping it from the cob.
2. Peel and cut your mangoes. Here is a simple instructional article if you are new to mango prep.
3. Chop your red pepper, your jalapeño, and your avocado. Mix all the fruits and veggies in a bowl.
4. Add the juice from your lime directly to the bowl. If you are using lime juice from a container, start with 2 teaspoons, and taste as you go. Remember, you can always add more!
5. Add cumin, salt and pepper. Mix and taste, adjusting seasonings as necessary.
6. Cover, refrigerate, and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator. Will keep for 1-2 days.
Rachel's Next Level Tip: I like to add a dash of cayenne pepper to my salsa. You get the sweet on the tip and front of the tongue, and the heat on the sides, creating an awesome full-palette experience.
This salsa goes great with white fish (fish tacos, fish cakes, or baked fish), kebabs, burgers, or can stand on its own as a side dish! There are no wrong answers with this recipe.
Fish tacos with grilled haddock and a lemon aioli, featuring Sweet Corn Mango Salsa
More of our favourite corn salsa recipes
We know that mangoes aren't for everyone - and there are a lot of amazing chefs out there creating amazing corn salsa recipes that you have got to try!